If you suspect a child is being abused, you can report it.

Anyone can report suspected child abuse or neglect. Child abuse is a crime that often goes undetected. No matter what your role is—parent or other family member, coach, teacher, religious leader, babysitter—you have the power to make a positive difference in this child’s life.

Reporting a crime like child abuse may not be easy, and it can be emotionally draining. Keep in mind that reporting abuse gives you the chance to protect someone who can’t protect themselves.

Depending on where you live and your role in the child’s life, you may be legally obligated to report suspicions of abuse. Are you a New York State mandated reporter? Find out if you are a mandatory reporter.

Who do I call?

  • Police
    If you believe a child is in immediate danger of being harmed, call 911 or your local police department.
  • Child Abuse Hotline
    If the child is not in immediate harm, reports of suspected child abuse or maltreatment should be made as soon as possible to the New York Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment, commonly known as the Child Abuse Hotline, at 1-800-342-3720This hotline operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Calls to the hotline are anonymous; callers’ identities are protected from disclosure.
  • Outside of New York State:
    If the child you are concerned about lives outside of New York State, find child abuse hotline numbers by state.
  • You cannot report suspected child abuse to the Warren-Washington CARE Center. The CARE Center can prepare you to make the call or support you after you have reported suspected abuse but you are responsible for reporting all suspected cases of child abuse.

What do I report?

Prepare your thoughts. Provide a complete, honest account of what you observed that led you to suspect that child abuse or neglect was happening. You will be asked for identifiable information about the child, the nature of the abuse, and your relationship with the child. While anonymous tips are always an option, identified reporting increases the success of the investigation into the abuse.

Please remember:

  • Do NOT attempt your own investigation.
  • Do NOT probe or question the child or family members to confirm your suspicion. This can cause further harm to the child. If the child discloses abuse to you, learn what you can do.
  • Any reasonable suspicion of child abuse is sufficient.
  • Call the Child Abuse Hotline, even if you are not sure.

Making the call

The person who answers your telephone call to the hotline is a child protective specialist. It is their responsibility to get as much information as possible during your telephone call to determine if a report should be registered. Some of the questions they may ask you are:

  • What is the nature and extent of the child’s injuries or the risk of harm to the child?
  • Have there been any prior suspicious injuries to this child or his or her siblings?
  • What is the child’s name, home address, and age?
  • What is the name and address of the child’s parent or other person legally responsible who caused the injury or created the risk of harm to the child?
  • What are the names and addresses of the child’s siblings and parents if different from the information provided above?

What happens after I make a call?

The Investigation

If and when the report is accepted by the Child Abuse Hotline it will be sent to the local responding Child Protective Services department and/or Law Enforcement.

CPS and/or Law Enforcement will conduct their initial investigation to determine the child’s immediate safety. The case may then be referred to the CARE Center. CARE Center staff will coordinate with MDT members to set up a forensic interview and medical exam, if necessary. At the time of the interview there will be an advocate present to provide information regarding the legal process and answer any questions that the child and non-offending family members have. The advocate will also provide information regarding referrals for mental health/counseling services.